Pages

Thursday 8 May 2014

Science Experiment Template

Science experiment:


Question: What will happen to the sound if I cut the straw shorter and blow through it?


Links to research about Sound:


Hypothesis: (What do you think will happen?) e.g. I think that the shorter you cut the straw the higher the sound gets.


Materials needed:
All you need is a straw and scissors.


Experiment (procedure):
e.g. Step 1 - Crease straw 2-3 cm long on one end.


Step 2 -  Cut a triangle shape at the end of the straw and blow into cut end.


Step 3 - Listen to the sound it makes.


Step 4 - Cut the straw shorter.
Step 5 - Blow on cut end.


Data (What happened?)


Straw Length:
Results:
Long - 15 cm
Makes a Sound
Shorter - 10 cm
Sound was higher
Short - 5 cm
Sound was more high pitched.


Record:
I Cut the Straw shorter and it was high not low.  
I Cut it a bit shorter and it was a bit higher than before.
I Cut it even shorter and it was higher than the other ones I have blown.


Observations:  
When you cut the straw shorter the sound of the straw when you blow it gets higher. When it is long the sound was low but when I cut the straw down the noise was higher. At 15 cm it made a sound. At 10 cm the sound a bit higher. But at 5 cm the noise was high pitched.


Conclusion:
It turns out that my hypothesis was right. I have noticed that when you cut the straw shorter the higher the sound gets when you blow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment